Hotel Occupancy In Puerto de la Cruz “A Disaster”

August 20, 2009

puerto-de-la-cruz-2.jpgHotel occupancy figures for the north of Tenerife in July have been described as “a disaster” by hoteliers and the worst in many years.

 While hotels in the south have seen something of a revival with late bookings boosting confidence, the same cannot be said for the north.

There, occupancy figures for July were down to just 53.6 per cent, down almost 10 per cent on the same period last year.

Announcing the poor figures vice-president of Ashotel, the hoteliers association, Juan Antonio Rosado, voiced his alarm when he said: “The situation is not good and we are alarmed with the trend seen over the month of July in places like the municipality of Puerto de la Cruz.”

Some in the industry are whispering that the Canary Islands’ first tourist destination is in terminal decline, with self-catering occupation down by more than 16 per cent over the same period.

With occupancy in other parts of the islands as high as 80 per cent, it would seem that the problem is not the much talked about decline in hotel standards and the desperate need to upgrade, but simply that the once premier destination has simply fallen from favour among visitors.

One Response to Hotel Occupancy In Puerto de la Cruz “A Disaster”

  1. Jack Montgomery
    August 21, 2009 at 9:29 pm

    This message about Puerto being “in terminal decline” is, I suspect part of a political agenda. The town is looking better than it has done since I moved here 6 years ago. All the old buildings in the centre have been completely refurbished and look wonderful.
    While hotels certainly do need to upgrade, nevertheless, the streets, plazas and beach are all teeming with visitors from the Peninsular.
    Ironically, when I was in PDLA 2 weeks ago, it was noticeably quieter than Puerto.

    So who’s ‘spinning’ what?

RSS News From The Mainland

Archives