In a 1pm press conference President of the Tenerife Cabildo, Ricardo Melchior, told reporters that the fire, which started near Ruigomez in the North West of Tenerife yesterday evening, has now an active front at La Charca spanning 6km affecting 90 hectares.
He confirmed that the village of Erjos has been saved and no property has been damaged.
Officials are calling for calm and pleading with the public to stay away from the mountainous areas of the island, particularly those people who might have been expected to walk the various pilgrims routes through the countryside towards La Candelaria.
- Guardia Civil report the TF-436 is closed from the Las Portelas exit to Masca and el Mesón del Norte and from Santiago del Teide to Erjos.
- The Red Cross have prepared an Evacuation centre in Buenavista del Norte for those dislodged from their homes.
- Inhabitants of Masca, Los Carrizales and Las Portelas evcuated
- Fire outbreak near the North airport at Tacoronte - A civil defence worker had to be taken to Laguna San Benito suffering from injuries received fighting the fire at Aguagarcía.
- Helicopters fighting another fire near the north airport now relocated to aid with the El Tanque fire which is heading towards Valle Arriba.
- Valle de Arriba Evacuated and without power.
- Third Hydroplane requested, (two already active in La Gomera fire) expected to arrive this evening.
- Santiago del Teide town evacuated as a precautionary measure. Town without power.